I’m based in London and have just got my PADI Openwater Diver Cert. I’m keen for me and a buddy to go on a diving break – but don’t know the best way to go about it. Are there any London clubs that organise such trips (either in or outside the UK) or any holiday companies that specialise in diving jaunts? Or is it better to get a standard hoilday to a scuba resort (i.e. Sharm El Sheikh) and organise the dive trip when I’m there?

You can get some really good bargains in Egypt on the Red Sea coast at this time of year. There are several diving holiday organisations which arrange trips. I have used Tony Backhurst Scuba (web site at www.scuba.co.uk) many times. They cater for both experienced & inexperienced divers. You could even go for your Advanced Open Water cert whilst you are there as this consists mainly of experience dives with only a tiny bit of additional bookwork- practical stuff rather than theory. Personally, I would arrange my diving before going to be sure you can get booked in. You can also chat to them here about the sort of diving you want to do etc etc before you go. There are many many other places you can go around the world but Egypt is pretty jacked up for divers with some very good prices too. The groups going there are mainly divers so the airlines etc are very familiar with diving equipment luggage etc. If you want to go as part of a bigger group then best to contact your local dive centres- or the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) has clubs just about everywhere-their web site is www.bsac.com & you will be able to get details of all the clubs in your area.